THE EARLY DAYS
Barely had 198 Squadron RAF been brought into existence during the last months of the First World War as a night flying training squadron equipped with Avro 504 and Sopwith Camel aircraft than it was disbanded in September 1919. For the next twenty three years the Squadron was all but forgotten but the demands of yet another world war some twenty years later brought pressure on the RAF to field more front line squadrons. Thus 198 was reformed on December the 8th 1942 at Digby as a night fighter squadron and equipped with the recently introduced Hawker Typhoon fighter. Originally employed in flying defensive patrols over the north east of England the squadron was eventually moved to Manston during March 1943 where it took part in attempting to counter the nuisance raids being carried out by Focke Wulf 190 fighter-bombers on coastal towns such as Southampton and Portsmouth.
From the beginning of 1944 and through the run up to D Day on June 6th that year, 198 began using rocket projectiles as its main offensive armanent in daylight raids against such targets as communication centres, radar stations and coastal batteries in occupied France. It was during the same year that 198 moved from number 11 Group and became part of the 2nd Tactical Air Force's, (2nd TAF) 84 Group 123 wing, which also comprised of 183, 609 and 164 Hawker Typhoon squadrons.
However, once D Day had taken place and the Allies had begun to advance from the Normandy beaches, 198 Squadron soon found itself operating in close support of the Canadian Army.
198 SQUADRON RAF BASES FROM JUNE 1918 - 30th APRIL 1944.
ROCHFORD - from June 1918 to September 1919.
DIGBY - from 8th December 1942.
OUSTON - from 23rd January 1943.
ACKLINGTON - from 9th February 1943.
MANSTON - from 24th March 1943.
WOODVALE - from 15th May 1943.
MARTLESHAM HEATH - from 5th June 1943.
BRADWELL BAY - from 19th August 1943.
MANSTON - from 23rd August 1943.
TANGMERE - from 17th March 1944.
LLANDBEDR - from 30th March 1944.
THORNEY ISLAND - from 6th April 1944.
LLANDBEDR - from 22nd April 1944.
THORNEY ISLAND - from 30th April 1944.